Monday, May 21, 2007

Wisdom from Grandpa

My Grandpa is a great man. He's a hard worker, intelligent, loving and kind person. Over the years I've heard many crazy stories about his growing up in Mt. Airy, NC and all the adventures and experiences he's had. He's given me tips and advice from time to time and unfortunately I can't remember them all but there is one that I will never forget. He told me the key to being happy in your work is to find a hobby that you love and make money at it. As a child this seemed a simple thought - doesn't everyone do that? Isn't that how you decide what to be when you grow up? Obviously, as an adult it's not that simple, or is it? I wonder what this world would look like if more people pursued what they loved or even liked as a career/business and were less concerned with amassing wealth. We really need far less than we have so let's try to have fun with what we do! Life is too short to spend it on things you don't really need and doing things you don't like to buy them. I for one am thinking of ways to embrace simplicity in what I have and what I do.

No comments: